Introduction: Hebrews 11:6"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
The Christian's life is a faith life, but it is not a blind superstitious faith. It is a faith based upon the solid facts of God's Holy word. Romans 10:17-18. The following is a list of evidences that the Bible is absolutely reliable. They are in outline form and will need to be developed by those who use the outline.
- Fulfilled Prophecy
- There are hundreds of prophecies found in the in the Old Testament. Most have been fulfilled to the letter. Those that have not await future fulfillment.
- Over 300 direct or indirect prophecies may be found about Jesus Christ alone. If we take just 50 of these relating to His birth, life, death and resurrection , and do a statistical probability on the possibility of those 50 being fulfilled in the life of one man, we find that the probability is 1:10 to the 130th power. That is 10 with 130 zeroes following.
- Sir Fred Hoyle has calculated that the number of atoms in the universe is 10 to the 80th power.
- Unity of the Bible.
66 books, 40 different human authors, written over a period of 1600 years - yet it is one book. It tells of:
- One person - The LORD Jesus Christ. Genesis 3:15; John 5:39
- One Gospel - By Grace through the shed blood of the Saviour. Genesis 22; Ephesians 2:8-9
- One Theme - The Blood of a sacrificial Lamb. Genesis to Revelation. Exodus 12:7; Colossians 1:20
- The Power of the Bible
- Power to save from a life of sin and degradation. Paul in Acts 9; the Philippian jailor in Acts 16.
- Power to overcome. 1 John 5:4-5
- Power to forgive. 2 Corinthians 2:7
- The Nation of Israel -
Still here in spite of all of its persecutions over the past several thousand years. Genesis 12, 15, 17.
- The Preservation of the Bible.
In spite of opposition, it is still here. Matthew 24:35
- The Wonderful Accuracy of the Bible
- Scientifically accurate. Job 38:13
- Historically - Egypt and bricks, Jericho's walls
- Literature-Greatest literature in all of the word.
- Socially describes man to a "T".
- The Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 15:44
- According to laws of jurisprudence
- The testimony of many witnesses.
Anyone who ignores the above evidences does so to his or her peril.
Deuteronomy 18:19 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."
- Additional evidences for the Authority and Reliability of the Bible.
- The honesty of the Biblical record.
- Duplicity of Abraham - Genesis 12 and 20.
- The immorality of Noah and his family - Genesis 9.
- The denial by Peter - Matthew 26:74.
- David, Samson, Solomon, etc., Their foibles are fully revealed. If man had written the Bible, would his heroes have had feet of clay like this?
- The Bankrupt Philosophy of Atheism and Agnosticism. Isaiah 41:29
- A & A produce fools - Psalm 14:1.
- A & A do not produce good - Psalm 107:17.
- The Logical Inference that there is a "GOD."
- Nothing can create itself. It would have to be before it was. That is absurd.
- Therefore there must be a "First Cause."
- That logically infers a "Creator." Genesis 1:1; Romans 1:20.
- "Everything which has a beginning has a cause." God has no beginning and therefore needs no cause. He is the "First Cause."
- The universe can be seen to be "running down." Therefore, it had to have had a beginning. Therefore, it had to have a cause. God is the only logical explanation.
- Other Evidences from reason for the Reliability of the Bible and the truth of Christianity.
- Changes in living things show that changes in genetic structure involve a loss of information. Just as a tape recording gets worse with each copy, so does man's genetic code lose with natural selection and/or adaptation. (Or a the very most stays the same.) Evolution requires that the code gain information. That requires outside intelligence.
- The fossil record: With the millions of fossils available for examination, if evolution were true, it is impossible for man to have not found an intermediate fossil (A link) between kinds of animals. There is not one intermediate fossil (link) to be found.
- The age of things. The evidence is very strong that our universe is young, not billions of years in age.
- The incredible ignorance of one who believes in evolution. Living matter arising from non living matter? At one time there was nothing and then there came something? At one time there was only inanimate matter and then living organisims arose? What folly! Pick up a rock - does the evolutinist really think that this incredibly complex universe and all of it's living things came from a rock?
- The incredible complexity of matter and living things. One scientist has estimated that the probability of a single protein enzyme arising by chance is around 10 to the 430th power. Carl Wieland wrote in a 1995 article entitled, Rubik's and Blind Men, "The leading British astronomer and mathematician Sir Fred Hoyle (1915-2001) calculated the odds against a simple functioning protein molecule originating by chance in some primordial soup as being the same as if you filled the whole solar system shoulder-to-shoulder with blind men and their Rubik's cubes, then expected them all to get the right solution at the same time."
Lesson prepared by Dr. Robert E. Bliss
Old Paths Baptist Ministry
1482 N. Ramah Dr.
Pueblo West, CO 81007
A ministry out of:
Lighthouse Baptist Church
4280 Hopeful Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80917
Dr. James Carroll, pastor
Scriptures used in this lesson, excluding whole chapters.
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Exodus 12:7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.
Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
Psalm 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 107:17 Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.
Isaiah 41:29 Behold, they are all vanity; their works are nothing: their molten images are wind and confusion.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Matthew 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
2 Corinthians 2:7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
1 John 5:4-5
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?